Virtuously Vintage Vixen 2012. Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 3, 2012

A Sixties Sorta Summer: The Flamingo Kid (1984)

 
 
Brooklyn, NY. Summer of 1963.
Jeffery Willis (Matt Dillon) has been slated to work at Mr. Henderson's engineering office for the Summer. But, his plans soon change during that hot, lazy 4th of July weekend when he takes a "swing-out to Rockaway" with his buddies Steve (Brian McNamara) and Hawk (Fisher Stevens). They invite Jeffery to be their 3rd in a hot gin game at The El Flamingo Beach Club.When he gets a glimpse of resort life, and the lovely Carla Samson (Janet Jones), being an office clerk is furthest from his mind; Especially when he gets hired as a valet attendant.
Jeffery's work ethic (and gin game) catches the interest of Carla's uncle/Porche salesman Phil Brody (Richard Crenna)-whose influence,even gets Jeffery promoted to cabana boy. In turn, Jeffery becomes enthralled with Mr. Brody's flashy lifestyle and turns his back on his humble Brooklyn upbringing...and his plans to attend Columbia University. However, his change of plans don't go over too well with his father (Hector Elizondo); especially when he feels like he's losing his son to Mr. "Hotshot" Brody. But it doesn't take long for Jeffery to find out that Phil Brody is a cheat and a phony. With honesty and the help of some friends, Jeffery dethrones Phil "The King" Brody and reunites with his family during his most memorable Summer.
 
 
 
 
The Flamingo Kid is one my favorite:
 1) Period Pieces
2) Summer Flicks
3) Garry Marshall Films- Then again I haven't seen one I didn't like (Pretty Woman, Princess Diaries,Valentine's Day).
This one was recommended to me by my mother years ago (who was shocked I hadn't seen it). She said that I always reminded her of Matt Dillon's character because I used to hum all the time as a kid...even at dinner. So, when I found this movie at Big Lots (one of my favorite movie collecting hot spots) I grabbed it and have enjoyed it ever since. It's one of my go-to movies during February and March when I get spring fever. I hope that you take a moment to enjoy the remainder of your Summer with another Sixties Sorta Summer classic.
Love,
Neah B
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
Image Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment